At ELCSS, the Business department consists of 4 fully qualified business teachers. A number of our courses are offered in a computer lab where students develop important technology skills that they can directly transfer to a work environment.
Our philosophy is to provide as many opportunities as possible for students to apply their thinking to real business situations and this is accomplished by:
- completing company research as a way to learn business concepts,
- tackling business case studies to demonstrate critical thinking,
- entrepreneurial endeavours running small businesses virtually & within the school community
- mock interviews to learn about the Human Resources function of a business and to prepare for interview situations
- having guest speakers in the classroom including: local entrepreneurs from Tim Horton's, Ten Thousand Villages, Sun Life Financial, Chartered Professional Accountants Association, Certified General Accountants, Assante Wealth management, Human Resource professional from Niagara Parks Commission, Small Business Entreprise Centre, Ten Thousand Villages to learn about social entrepreneurship
- field trips including: Brock's High School Accounting Workshop, Leadership Development Training, Women in Leadership Conference, Chartered Professional Accountants Conference, Entrepreneurship Case Study competition, DECA Business Case Study Competition.
- providing opportunities for students to compete in a variety of business competitions including accounting and running a summer company
Business SHSM - ELCSS is one of only 2 schools in the DSBN to offer a Business SHSM program where students in Grade 11 & 12 can specialize in the field of business to better prepare them for the world of work or a business program at College/University. For more information visit:
For a list of courses offered, visit us on Career Cruising.